Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Buying Zanardi


So, just a quick start...
Zanardi was purchased approx. Sept. of 1995. I bought the car from a Gentleman named Russ in Alta Dena. Russ was the second owner, and at the time, the car had 78,XXX miles on it. Russ was a engineer by trade and mainly did design for automotive parts. I fiugred this was a great pedigree, and began negotiating. During the wheeling and dealing Russ and I found some common themes in our life, and it seemed fitting that I take the car. While I didn't pay what he was asking, I gave him as much as I could. Yeah, backwards, but fitting.

The car hadn't been registered in some years, and had badly faded paint from environmental stains, like tree sap, bird droppings, etc. In fact during the inspection, I was greeted by a number of the representatives from the Arthopodia class of insects. I purchased the car, and carefully drove it home. I was worried about the state of the timing belt, hoses, brakes, you name it. While driving, I had the pressure of not having insurance on the car, and lack of registration, but you know what? I was grinning ear to ear.

These pictures are from some time a year later. Approx Sept 96. They are scans so they come out a little weird. Remember photos? I spent many-many weeks working on the paint to get the color showing on her. I lived in a apartment complex, and I'm sure my neighbors thought I was OCD. I finally got the color to look right by abandoning the cheap waxes and polishes and using the heavy duty 3M stuff. Hard to work with, but worth the result.

No comments: