Thursday, August 03, 2006

Predictability and Confidence

Prior to telling you about where I am in the restoration, I thought I would share some details about the general aspects of the Fiat X1/9.

The layout of the car is a mid engine design. While this design was used in other mass production vehicles like the Toyota MR2, Pontiac Fiero, and the Porsche 914, the X predates all but the 914. The first model roled into Italian history in 1972. Two years later, a US spec model was imported to North America.

In American culture, this car was deemed to be seriously underpowered. Introduced with a 1300 cc engine, it was surely no match for American muscle. Think again. In a straight line, American muscle cars were competent in straight line speed. However, the X, had a different calling. With only 2,000 lbs, its superiority was enforced on the twisting roads. This was accomplished through mid engine placement. This puts the weight of the engine closer to the center of the car. In effect, the balance of the vehicle is remarkable.

No other car I have driven provides as much feedback to the driver about the handling of the vehicle. When you can connect with the car and have confidence in its predictability, its easier to drive at the limit. While any car can be overdriven, the safer car is the one that communicates to the driver.

In a shoot out test created by Grassroots Motorsports magazine in 1997, the Fiat was compared to the 914, MR2, and Fiero. While the Fiat had the lest amount of rated power, it bested all of the above at Road Atlanta race track. Predictability and balance. This is what truly makes a car fast. In fact a comment of the article was, "The Bertone (Fiat) was amazing. The handling and feel were more formula-car than any fendered car we have driven in a long time." High words of praise from author Tim Stoddard. If you are unfamiliar with Grassroots Motorsports, I highly encourage you pick up a copy. While your car may not be featured, the engineering and driving advice offered are applicable. The magazine is head and shoulders above the usual car magazine fare.

My particular car is the 79 model. This model comes with a 1500cc engine, and a Five Speed Transmission. This provided a little more torque over the 1300cc car, and increases the top end speed. Weight is increased to about 2,100 lbs. Stock I think my car was rated with 75 horsepower, and 0-60 time over 10.5 seconds. Rather anemic I know. However my particular car has had a lot of improvements. The cam has been changed, big valve head, headers, dual DCNF Weber carburetor, and larger tires. While I do not have a current dyno sheet for the car, I estimate that I am at 95+ horse at the wheels. Assuming a driveline loss of 15% that would be about 110 horse at the engine. Comparing this to the 75 stock horses, I have an increase of approx 45% more horsepower. This really changes the dynamic of the car.

While I am partial to this brand, if you know of someone with a mid-engine car, I highly recommend that you drive one. Its an experience like no other.

No comments: