Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Car guy's week.

Again, the pressures of time, work, and leading the car lifestyle.

Yes, I have made progress on the car. Small wonder I have not broken anything on myself or the car just yet. Rather than talk about the car, I thought I would talk about Car culture. This is something that I'm rather passionate about. What you couldn't tell by now?

Recently, I attended the Brabus-CEC rollout party on August 24th. This was held at the Brabus USA headquarters in Newport Beach. I understand that the function was to celebrate a new partnership between Brabus and the Claus Ettenberger Corporation. While I was not "officially" on the guest list, I did manage to get two networking invites. The first came via a request on the www.mbklasse.com board. A member who had an invite and was not going to be attending forwarded me the invite. have to say, Huge thank you to the board member who forwarded me that. I wasn't sure just how strict the admission was going to be so I made a back up plan. I had just recently meet with a marketing agency known as the ID Agency in Manhattan Beach. (www.theidagency.com) They provide promotions and marketing support to companies like Brembo, CEC, and other aftermarket auto companies. I got in touch with them and asked about getting on the guest list through their affiliation. So, now I had two invites.

Brabus is a well known company to German car enthusiasts. Generally their work centers around aftermarket upgrades to Mercedes vehicles. Be it engine performance, interior work, or suspension, their facility can provide a range of upgrade options for Mercedes vehicles. While I have not had any work done via Brabus, I am a fan of their body kits, and engine tuning. Personally, my daily driver, a Mercedes C230 Coupe uses the benefits of a Kleeman kit.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sea Coupe

Sorry Brabus. In any case, I didn't want to go alone, so who better to invite than a BMW guy? So, in comes my friend Chase who is an owner of a 2006 BMW 525. Yes, Chase, you are an old man driving a four door. Needless to say the valet took his Bimmer and parked it around back with the lesser vehicles. Ha-Ha! Lest I digress....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
An Evening with the Michelin Man

The party had a great setup. Guests were able to tour the Brabus facility, and see their display vehicles.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
In German Brabus means "Black and Fast"

Most of the attendees had unique vehicles in there own right. Some of which were parked onsite for an impromptu viewing. This was actually quite an interesting way of getting acquainted with some models I was not familiar with. I saw my first Noble, a unique rear engine sports car, and Mercedes SMART car venture. Of course there were plenty of Ferrari and Mercedes to go around. Best part was the Red Bull hospitality center. Now, why was I drinking wine when I could have had Red Bull and Vodka?

I am proud to say that while admiring the food setup I met a new member of European Car magazine (http://www.europeancarweb.com/). Now, if only I could recall her name. I actually found it fascinating that her project car is a Datsun. It is the late 70's hatchback model with the rear valence. Anybody know the model of this vehicle? I can visually see it, but can't quite name it. Might have had something to do with the Red Bulls, certainly not vodka related.

So, next up on the car agenda now that I'm living sans a wife, was a Mercedes Meet on August 26th at Huntington Beach. I meet up with a group of guys from a forum board and we made our way out to Huntington Beach from Carson without any tickets at all. Attending was an SLR, and a complete host of other Mercedes AMG monsters, and us other little folks. Rather than post endless pictures I'm linking to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzuowrv96Nc

So, I truly commit that I'm Car Crazy. Yes, Barry Meguir is somewhat of a hero to me. In fact I actually met him coming off a flight, and I'm proud to say I use his products.

Till next time, stay out of the ice plants

No comments: